Old 28-11-2020, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting a new tree in a hedegrow - ?

On 28/11/2020 13:58, Another John wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Seriously consider hiring a digger for a day - £150 maybe top price.
Even if access is limited you can

- trench down each side
- and if necessary cut any lateral roots with a chainsaw or handsaw or
hatchet or even a hand axe.
- with luck trench in front of it as well.
- then usually it can be lifted out snapping what laterals are left, or
if it is tall, pulled over from the top. Then the remaining roots are
exposed and can be cut.
- finally the soil levels can me made good with the digger using the
blade as a grader.
- the digger can be used to cart the stump away to the bonfire too
- and driving a mini digger is FUN.

Thanks TNP! I won't be doing that, mainly because the hedge is between
a shed in the garden, and a narrow country (but busy!) lane, so it won't
fit. But I'd need the hedge to be in the middle of the neighbouring
field, for an hour or two's cack-handed experimentation, never having
driven any such machine before.

Takes nearly 5 minutes to master one...

But thanks for the entertainment! I can almost see you, tearing around
on your toy-for-day! Thumbs-up!

The ultimate experience apart from tipping one over was on a 3 tonner
picked up a huge chunk of masonry, stretched the arm out to drop it over
the dump truck, and the whole thing started to topple.
I dropped it in a hurry from 6 feet up into the dumper my ( now ex) was
driving. Surprised is an understatement!

John

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14