Old 28-11-2020, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David[_24_] David[_24_] is offline

Default How do plants know that it is Autum and Spring? Spring bulbs comingout.

Autumn leaves are falling or have fallen.
As far as I know a lot of trees and shrubs take their cue from shortening
day lengths, and possibly also falling temperatures.

However I am now seeing shrubs and trees coming into bud, and shooting as
well, which seems a bit early as we aren't even into Winter yet.

Today we passed some daffodils coming into flower, which allegedly are
Spring flowering.

So what makes the flowers and trees think that it is Spring?
Is it daytime temperature?

Also, what are the implications for Spring flowering bulbs (and other
plants and trees) if they set off now when Winter is not yet upon us?

Cheers

Dave R