Old 28-11-2020, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
philgurr philgurr is offline

Default How do plants know that it is Autum and Spring? Spring bulbs coming out.

On 28/11/2020 16:24, David wrote:
Autumn leaves are falling or have fallen.
As far as I know a lot of trees and shrubs take their cue from shortening
day lengths, and possibly also falling temperatures.

However I am now seeing shrubs and trees coming into bud, and shooting as
well, which seems a bit early as we aren't even into Winter yet.

Today we passed some daffodils coming into flower, which allegedly are
Spring flowering.

I've got a couple of hyacinths flowering outdoors at the moment.

And here in the north of Scotland I have a Rhododendron in bloom!

Phil