Old 28-11-2020, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans

In article ,
David Rance wrote:

I haven't bought any runner bean seeds for forty years! I grew runner
beans this year from seed that I'd saved about twenty years ago.
Germination was almost 100%.

I did the same for both red and white kidney beans. The reds germinated
fine but out of about thirty white beans only one germinated!

Interesting. I have no trouble with Trail of Tears (a small black
bean), borlotti and Shiny Fardenlosa (normally eaten green, but a
white bean).

So I've tried to remove the skin before cooking them. Easy enough when
the seed has just been removed from the pod, but impossible when the
seed has been dried. So I've had to soak them for twelve hours or so
before the skin can be slit. A bit of a faff, but I don't like to waste
things.

I pour boiling water over beans, let it cool, through it away and
repeat until the water is clear. This is to defart them somewhat,
and is mainly for French beans, though I do it for runners as well.
It might work better, or might discolour them anyway.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.