Old 29-11-2020, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Runner beans

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 14:38:14 Chris Green wrote:

David Rance wrote:

The reason I mention this is because, when I boil them, they discolour
the saucepan which is then impossible to clean, but also the beans
inside get discoloured and don't look at all nice, although the flavour
is excellent, which is why I'm persisting with the experiment.
Additionally the skin is very tough and no amount of cooking will soften
it.

So I've tried to remove the skin before cooking them. Easy enough when
the seed has just been removed from the pod, but impossible when the
seed has been dried. So I've had to soak them for twelve hours or so
before the skin can be slit. A bit of a faff, but I don't like to waste
things.

But they're not really "runner beans" then are they? The whole point
of runner beans for me is that lovely green flesh of the 'body' of the
bean, the seeds themselves inside are almost irrelevant.

sigh I also have over 10kg of green runner beans in my freezer. Didn't
think I needed to explain that!

David