Old 29-11-2020, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_3_] David Rance[_3_] is offline

Default Runner beans

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 16:32:22 David wrote:

On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 14:15:25 +0000, David Rance wrote:

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 13:28:39 Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Judith wrote:
I left some runners to go to seed so that I can use them next year,
they tasted great! However, when do I pick them off and is there
anything I should be doing to preserve them, sorry to be so ignorant, I
know it would be easier to buy new next year but I really like these.

No problem. They grow perfectly well from seed and, as you say, are
excellent as dried beans. However, you MUST boil them for at least 5
minutes (preferably 10) before putting them in anything like a slow
cooker or slowly simmering casserole, to destroy the toxins. You don't
need a rolling boil, as it is the temperature that matters.

To keep them, dry them thoroughly, and then store them in a closed
container (even a plastic bag will do) in a dry place, preferably cool.
They remain viable for many years.

I haven't bought any runner bean seeds for forty years! I grew runner
beans this year from seed that I'd saved about twenty years ago.
Germination was almost 100%.

I did the same for both red and white kidney beans. The reds germinated
fine but out of about thirty white beans only one germinated!

Going back to runner beans, I thought that this year, because I always
seem to have far too many seeds than I need for next year's plants, I
would try experimenting with cooking the surplus. The seeds I have are
black. Originally, some generations ago, they were the usual mauve/black
colour which all runners were when I was a kid, but over the years I
selected just the black. No particular reason - just a whim - and now
100% of them are black.

The reason I mention this is because, when I boil them, they discolour
the saucepan which is then impossible to clean, but also the beans
inside get discoloured and don't look at all nice, although the flavour
is excellent, which is why I'm persisting with the experiment.
Additionally the skin is very tough and no amount of cooking will soften
it.

So I've tried to remove the skin before cooking them. Easy enough when
the seed has just been removed from the pod, but impossible when the
seed has been dried. So I've had to soak them for twelve hours or so
before the skin can be slit. A bit of a faff, but I don't like to waste
things.

David

Random thought.

Why don't you skin them before you dry them?
Then you won't have the problem of removing the skins.
Although you may well have to soak them anyway to rehydrate them before
cooking.

That had occurred to me and I'd tried it. Works well, but will the beans
keep in that state as they dry? Probably ok for cooking but not for
sowing.

David