Old 29-11-2020, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any idea what this is?

On 29/11/2020 15:53, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 29/11/2020 07:36, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2020 22:43:11 +0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

Some sort of Fungi has appear in a long line as if following an under
ground root but there is no large tree in the area. Anyone know what it
is and if its a good or bad thing!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...posted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...posted-public/

Looks like one of the Ramarias (I'm no expert - simply got a book with
pictures!). AKA Fairy Clubs or Upright Coral Fungus. Possibly R.
stricta, which my book says grows on decayed stumps and buried
branches. Did a branch get buried there, in the past?
https://tinyurl.com/yyh2g992

yep. coral fungus. Grows on *dead* wood. Harmless IIRC. Some people
say its edible, but there is not a lot of meat on it.

One of the *many* coral fungi. I would start with Clavulina cinerea.
https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/grey-coral

Some coral fungi are edible, some poisonous, some laxative, many
have unknown edibility.

Thanks every one.
The only dead wood I can think of is the remains of some large trees
which had died in the 1960's the stump of one i buried by work I was
doing restructuring levels in 1982 it must be around 6' under the
surface now!

--
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall