Old 01-12-2020, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Overwintering Begonias & Fuchsias

On 19/11/2020 22:42, Derek wrote:
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 13:58:04 +0000, Martin Brown
Space is limited in the warm, light and dry.
Frost free has more space but not a great deal of light.

I over winter approx 400 fuchsia plants, (I grow a lot to sell to rise
money for the local Childrens Hospice) Most of these will produce
cutting mateial for next years plants, in a cold but well insulated
greenhouse, bubblewrap and fleece always to hand

Fost free is much more important than light, at this time of year,
most will be semi dormant, not a lot of watering, but they must not go
dust dry, picking up the pot,and feeling the weight is a good methord,
don't worry if the top of the compost is dry its the rootball you need
to keep alive.

Curious follow-up on this. I didn't quite get them inside in time and
the normal green leaved ones all went yellow and now the stems have
dropped off the tubers looking a bit the worse for wear. However, the
ones with dark red leaves all appear to be doing fine and still growing.

They were all together and brought in at the same time so I am surprised
by this apparent difference in cold hardiness with leaf colour.

The fuchsias are all still in flower. Pelargoniums still flowering
outside although for how much longer is uncertain - there was a
borderline air frost last night and a hard ground frost still in the
shade. Though it is bright and sunny today with clear blue arctic air.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown