Old 02-03-2003, 05:15 PM
Gregory Young

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

Hi Bonnie:
No, I haven't, as I don't want to disturb the anaerobic layer which is
working quite well.
Some folks when they design bogs actually cut slits in the bottom liner, to
allow water to percolate down through the lower layers and back into the
soil.
I didn't want to do that, as with our frosts I was concerned the slits could
become major tears.
I already do routine water changes, and didn't want that to become too
excessive!
Happy ponding,
Greg

--

"Bonnie Espenshade" wrote in message
Gregory Young wrote:

I went with the bog model, which has worked well, but my soil depth is

only
about 12 inches. Nitrates went down, after the 3rd year when the plants

were
well established.
Happy ponding,
Greg

Do you ever have to clean this type VF and if so how?
--
Bonnie
NJ