Old 01-02-2021, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops out a little

On 01/02/2021 11:27, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 01/02/2021 09:37, Martin Brown wrote:

Aconites are out in force.

I've often wondered about trying to grow them; I've heard they can be a
bit awkward. Were yours from bulbs or from plants "in the green"?

Wild ones!

They grow spectacularly well in leaf mould on top of our heavy clay soil
on the edges of woodland here. There is an patch ~2m across north facing
on my favourite woodland walk. Likewise for snowdrops, wood anemones,
bluebells, daffodils and wild garlic according to season.

I do have some bought as dry bulbs in my garden but they aren't quite
out yet. So long as they get some early spring sunshine and don't end up
being cooked in the summer sun they seem fairly robust (if a bit toxic).

I'd say they will normally grow OK where snowdrops thrive.

If they like the conditions they self seed as well so you don't need
many to start a decent clump provided that you are prepared to wait.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown