Old 01-02-2021, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snowdrops out a little

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 01/02/2021 11:39, Chris Hogg wrote:

On 01/02/2021 09:37, Martin Brown wrote:

Aconites are out in force.

I've often wondered about trying to grow them; I've heard they can be a
bit awkward. Were yours from bulbs or from plants "in the green"?

I bought 50 bulbs a couple of years ago, although despite being 'in
the green' and delivered early in the year, they seemed rather dry
when they arrived. Only about 10% appeared the following year, and
this year I don't see any. As you say, awkward.
https://tinyurl.com/yxbmekq7

It's one of those bulbs you see offered in packs from numerous
suppliers, some "in the green", and some as pots already growing and in
flower. But I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of
times I've seen bulbs in flower in the ground. Compare that to crocuses
and snowdrops, and they just have /have/ to be difficult.

I have seen them more often than that. Mine have survived many years,
but have neither thickened nor spread, and snowdrops don't do a lot
better with me. My G. elwesii have just turned up their toes and
died, unless they are planning to emerge later, which seems unlikely.
Like many such things, they are pernicketty rather than difficult.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.