Old 03-03-2021, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Celandines!

On 28/02/2021 21:35, Another John wrote:
Â* And we'll be looking with extra vigilance for
the creepers (nettles etc that you mention), which did indeed get away
from us last year, due to insufficient vigilance in these days of Spring.

Nettles die on mowing, so one method of control is to take scissors or
shears and simply keep cutting them down to ground level.

It is less injurious than pulling the root system up, though that works
as well.

More satisfying though. It is one of those jobs I have broken a fork
doing - snapped off two of the tines. Nettle roots are surprisingly
strong. I prefer a hit of glyphosate first when clearing rough ground.
It makes any small bits of ground elder you miss less likely to regrow.

I leave some nettles for the butterflies on the wild edges of my garden.

I wish I could get lily of the valley to be a weed. It dies on me

Find somewhere damp and in moderate shade and try again.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown