Old 09-03-2021, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.organic.rec.gardens.edible,uk.rec.gardening
Vir Campestris Vir Campestris is offline

Default Basil doesn'f like LED grow lights

On 09/03/2021 19:13, Gary Woods wrote:
Basil seedlings under a 200-watt LED grow light develop distorted
leaves...I've tried either/both "Veg" and "Bloom" modes (separate
strings of LEDs; different spectra). Only one of the lights I have is
dimmable, which takes us to the next question:
Is there a listing of recommended lux levels for different plants? I'm
guessing hydroponic/greenhouse growers must have something like this,
but I seem to not be asking Gooble the right questions.

LED grow light sets off alarm bells for me.

IIRC the reason why plants are green is that they reflect the green, and
make use of the red and the blue (human eyes see only those three colours).

LEDs are famous for having discontinuous spectra. Often they produce
only two wavelengths of light, one in the blue, and one somewhere
between red and green that we with our terrible eyes call yellow.

Whether these are any good for photosynthesis is another matter entirely...

A "grow light" _ought_ to be better, but I wouldn't count on it.

Your local drugs squad may be able to advise - I've heard there are a
lot of indoor cannabis farms!

Andy