Old 02-03-2003, 05:39 PM
Gregory Young

Default VF...1 Foot Deep Enough?

I was not referring to nitrogen "gas".
Folks:
There is a very understandable review of how aquatic plants actually use
utilize nitrogen, which you may like to read.
It shows how "nitrates" are actually utilized by aquatic plants.
When I get back from Albany Tuesday, I'll look it up, and post it to this
thread.
Happy ponding all,
Greg

wrote in message
free nitrogen (the gas) is not available for use by plants. nitrogen

fixing bacteria
(like those found in nodules of clover, etc.) must fix the nitrogen to

ammonia. that
is an anaerobic process.
http://www.backyardnature.net/econitro.htm
Ingrid

One reason for a deeper VF would be (assuming a bog design with an actual
soil bed), to allow anaerobic conditions to occur in the deeper soil

layers,
which allows for the reduction of nitrates back to nitrogen, which is

more
efficiently utilized by all the plants.