Old 02-05-2021, 08:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On 01/05/2021 19:32, williamwright wrote:

What enormous strides? The energy/weight figure for battery is still
light years behind petrol.

Bill

No, not light years, about 50%,

That doesn't equate with a vehicle's range with a tankful of petrol
compared to a battery full of leccy. And the battery weighs a lot more
than the petrol.

Bill

no, its fairly close - leccy cars have about 200 miles range and petrol
ones 400 - 600.

But its oranges and apples, What counts is the total package, and an
electric power train weighs way less than a petrol or diesel one *if you
exclude the battery*.

Mains powered hedgetrimmers ought to be the lightest per unit power, of all.

But the actual stats that I looked up on a Stihl,. showed that the
battery equivalent to my baby Stihl was more expensive, of similar
power, slightly less weight but only half an hour cutting time.

Operationally as with a car what counts is the recharge time - seldom
less than an hour if you want the battery to last.

It takes me less than a minute to refill oil and petrol...

--
“Progress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,”

– Ludwig von Mises