Old 02-05-2021, 02:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
Bev[_2_] Bev[_2_] is offline

Default Thinking abut a cordless hedgetrimmer

On Sun, 02 May 2021 12:05:03 +0100, charles wrote:

In article , NY wrote:

Not only do you have to recharge the battery more frequently, but every
time you have to wait many hours, as opposed to 5 mins max when filling
up with 60 litres of diesel. We have often done journeys of more than
200 miles, stopping only for brief loo breaks and maybe change of
driver. If we had to factor in a much longer recharging stop, a journey
of a few hours would turn into one with an overnight stop - or a long
stop at a place of interest along the way.

That, too, is my concern. If life returns to 'normal', I expect to do 2
or 3 long distance journeys each year.

Similar to me. Normally I can do a round trip of just under 600 miles
with a fill of diesel at start and finish of the round trip. With a
loaded trailer behind I can get to the 'return point' and then fill up
for the journey back.

Electric would see me stopping for top ups on each leg plus a proper
charge at the 'return point'. That is *solo* and in good weather without
lights etc.

With the trailer and load it becomes an unimaginable task with frequent
lengthy stops unless..

Longer advertised mileage ones appear to be coming, but they seem to
mostly "fashion statements" rather than useful vehicles.

.... the fashion statements do actually become usable vehicles especially
when towing a load.

I expect that I may wait for a few years more, buy a good diesel and let
that see me out.