Old 05-05-2021, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill Davy Bill Davy is offline

Default Quick tadpole question - not growing

On 05/05/2021 19:30, David wrote:
The tadpoles hatched from the frog spawn and looked pretty lively.

They were decanted into a plastic tub full of rain water which was buried
in the ground to form a mini pond.
Some bricks were added to provide a platform for mature froglets to use to
escape.
Plenty of pond weed for food.

Move on several weeks and it is hard to find any tadpoles, and those
located are still tiny and are not moving.

Internet searches suggest that one reason could be very cold water.
It has been very cold this last month with air frosts nearly every night
and it was a very chilly April, and May isn't looking much better given
the sleet and hail.

Has anyone else had problems with tadpoles growing?

Water seems fresh, there is algae and water weed for food.

If not the cold (and the water was screened for predators and a Mayfly
larva evicted to another tub) are there any suggestions as to likely cause?

Cheers

Dave R

Not an expert but sure there will be plenty here.

It took some time for frogs to use my pond, or the butler's basin sunk
in the ground at the allotment. I think you may have to keep trying.

This year, frogs laid in the sink on the allotment so I guess last
year's transport was a success.

Perhaps neglect and patience are the missing ingredients.

This year's tadpoles are fine, but they are not interested in the small
thin strips of cooked chicken I have offered them in the past. Amazing
how the numbers steadily decline. Cannibalism I suppose. Darwin was
right. The survival of the least edible.