Old 26-04-2003, 01:28 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Floral anatomy question

Cereoid+10 schreef
Did you read the warning to the website?

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/APweb/

+ + +
Yes, we all read this. We knew it already
+ + +

Most of what is posted on the Internet is second hand info taken from old

papers.

+ + +
Most is not original, but not all.
Papers are not necessarily old either!
+ + +

Of course all if this remains meaningless and mystical if you have no idea

what the plants in the various orders actually look like.

+ + +
Up to a point it may be helpful to know what the plants look like.
Not sure it really is necessary
+ + +

1. The primitive trimerous dicots.
(maybe call them "Predicots" or "Protodicots"?)

+ + +
They are not all trimerous, note the most primitive group called the (as
Stewart Robert Hinsley pointed out) ANITA-group, eg Nymphaeaceae.
They are dicots, and can be called "primitive Angiosperms", etc
+ + +

3. True (4-5 merous) Dicots. (so called "Eudicots")

+ + +
The Core Eudicots are 4-5 merous
The Basal Eudicots are a bit of a mess in this respect (see the start of
this thread)
PvR