Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Cereoid+10

Default Floral anatomy question

Just because you read it that doesn't mean you understood it. It is
essential that one be familiar with the actual genera and species otherwise
the cladistics and family trees are total fantasy. Your accepting the
descriptions of the orders and families on faith is laughable because many
include misplaced genera, incorrect assumptions and errors. That they admit
much of what they cite has been based on second hand info is not
encouraging. Some of the recent papers actually compound the errors. They do
admit that whole scheme is tentative and provisional anyway and not gospel
set in stone. That the incomplete info has been copied into textbooks as if
it were fact is even more problematic.

No more than the so-called Eudicots strictly have only two cotyledons in all
genera and species.
Of course the primitive dicots do not all have strictly trimerous flowers.
Some of them have derived arrangements or are lacking parts. The floral
parts in Nymphaea are actually spirally arranged but they are trimerous in
most of the other genera in the family.

Stewart Robert Hinsley is the one who originally asked the question and was
confused by the family trees. Since when did he become the expert? His only
source of info has been the outdated info on the internet as has been yours.
Now, you are definitely wasting my time with stupid replies.

P van Rijckevorsel wrote in message
Cereoid+10 schreef
Did you read the warning to the website?

http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/APweb/

+ + +
Yes, we all read this. We knew it already
+ + +

Most of what is posted on the Internet is second hand info taken from

old
papers.

+ + +
Most is not original, but not all.
Papers are not necessarily old either!
+ + +

Of course all if this remains meaningless and mystical if you have no

idea
what the plants in the various orders actually look like.

+ + +
Up to a point it may be helpful to know what the plants look like.
Not sure it really is necessary
+ + +

1. The primitive trimerous dicots.
(maybe call them "Predicots" or "Protodicots"?)

+ + +
They are not all trimerous, note the most primitive group called the (as
Stewart Robert Hinsley pointed out) ANITA-group, eg Nymphaeaceae.
They are dicots, and can be called "primitive Angiosperms", etc
+ + +

3. True (4-5 merous) Dicots. (so called "Eudicots")

+ + +
The Core Eudicots are 4-5 merous
The Basal Eudicots are a bit of a mess in this respect (see the start of
this thread)
PvR