Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
cra2

Default plant reproduction

This is a question for you plant experts out there.
I had a trivia question that has now turned into a curiousity I must
satiate.

There are plants that have both sexes and then other plants that only have
one sex or the other, right?

In regards to these single sex plants, the females reproduce by having the
pollen (sperm) brought to them by bees, wind, etc, right?

So, if I moved a female plant, for example, to an area of the country where
no plants of the opposite sex existed, the plant could not reproduce,
correct?

Can you name any specific examples?
Are there are any commonly known instances of this... where you have to have
an "opposite sexed" plant somewhere in your neighborhood or the plant won't
reproduce?
Or, is the requirement much more loose than that, and a potential "mate"
could be anywhere in the same state?

Thanks for your time.
Looking forward to hearing back.
cra2 "at" mindspring "dot" com