Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Sean Houtman

Default Floral anatomy question

From: userve (Jie-san Laushi)

"Leaves grading into bracts." Interesting. So, even though the primitive
Pereskia is the only cactus retaining leaves in the usual sense, the flowers
include leaves? Since spines are modified leaves, are there any cases where
the spines grade into bracts -- or into regular leaves?

My Pereskia hasn't flowered for me yet, so I don't know if the receptacle is
leafy. Opuntia has succulent leaves that vaguely resemble spines, they are
often mucronate. There aren't any intermediate forms on the same plant though.
You can see some of the leaves that Opuntia offers on the first page of the
Natural Entrance log on my web page linked below.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;
http://members.aol.com/grommit383/myhomepage