Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default plant reproduction

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote:
Isn't there any number of fruit trees who need to have a 'male' planted

somewhere near them for them to bear fruit? Maybe I can think of them when
feeling a little less woozy.
PvR

d buebly schreef
ginkgo

Actually this was just what I did think of but did not want to say.
Opinions vary if this is a useful 'fruit'. The Chinese like it, but in
Western cities there is a proscription to planting female trees because the
'fruits' have a reputation of smelling badly. I have heard of cases where
female trees were planted in busy streets but nobody noticed the 'fruits'.
Perhaps these only smell badly in (sub)tropical araes where they will rot
more easily?

Also Ginkgo's are gymnosperms and thus do not have true fruits! ;-)
PvR