Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default monkeypod

wrote...
While birding in West Central Florida today I found an unusual looking

tree with light grey bark, nearly empty branches and these peculiar brown
human-ear shaped "pods". Someone called them "monkeypods". I think the
"pods" were the only "vegetation" on the trees, which may have been empty
for the winter. Can anyone identify this tree for certain? I'm living in
Tampa Bay area of Florida. Thanks.

By "or a close relative" I'd

really just meant related members of the same genus Enterolobium.
It seems there are a few other species also with strikingly
ear-shaped pods, and one or more of them are apparently in
cultivation [or introduced and escaped] in Florida.

In particular, Enterolobium contortisiliquum

["pacara earpod tree"] now sounds to me like the most
likely candidate:

I've also seen the species S. saman being classified in

Pithecellobium and in Albizia, as well as in Enterolobium
and various other genera.
Quite a synomymy.

+ + +
This goes for many species in the Albizia / Pithecellobium group. There is
ample reason to be very glad that there is now an authoritive treatment by
Barneby and Grimes for the American species. Also very good to see the
well-known name Samanea saman kept alive!
+ + +

Of course if it is a roadside tree, anything is possible.
PvR

Right. It seems likely that this is another tropical
introduction, either planted or escaped from cultivation.
It sounds like they think E. contortisiliquum may be
becoming an invasive weed in Florida.

+ + +
Right. With Enterolobium contortisiliquum a recognised invasive species in
Florida (and reported from the Tampa bay area!) this becomes the shoo-in
favorite. If I interpret the picture in my book correctly it has whitish
grey bark.
PvR