Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
Judith Baltsar

Default Primary function of awn in Poaceae

Hello everybody,
while contemplating on the dispersal types of a great number of plants
(see my other posting) I stumbled over the question what primary
function the awn of poaceae might have. It is often noted that it
might assist in epizoochorous dispersal (attatching the seed to the
fur of some animals) or with strong hygroscopic movements it might
"crawl" on the ground or even drill itself into the soil. But are
these the primary functions or just some nice side effects (kind of
spandrels of San Marco)?

Thanks a lot
Judith