Old 26-04-2003, 01:29 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Default Clang!

P van Rijckevorsel writes
The introduction to this topic for botanists is the
_Plant_Systematics._A_phylogenetic_approach_
which was mentioned here a few times. Now in its second edition (2002).
Although not entirely free of error this is regarded as pretty good.

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
There is a difference between taking DNA sequence data (or chromosome
counts, or base frequencies) into account when classifying groups of
species, as has been done by APG, Judd et al, etc, as you appear to be
referencing, and making the inclusion of a DNA sequence a *mandatory*
part of the formal description of a species, a proposal for which is
described in the material written by the original poster.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

+ + +

Yes, sorry for allowing room to think that mandatory sequencing as part of
the formal description of a species might be in Judd &al.

Whenever a person starts talking about taxonomy as starting with Linnaeus I
am assuming there are so many screws loose in the brain that anything else
said will be pretty close to madness and I only glance through the rest.
I had not really noticed that this one was even crazier that at first
apparent.

Actually it might be fun to see a try to have this become part of the ICBN.
Look what happened to name registration! In this case somebody might
actually bring tar and feathers (would be a first!) to deal with the
suggestion.
PvR