Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Sean Houtman

Default musa ensete

From: (Iris Cohen)

I want to know if it can be grown as a Banzai.

The spelling is bonsai. With very few exceptions, only dicots (Magnoliopsida)
among the flowering plants can be used for bonsai. I have a pygmy date palm
which is called a bonsai by courtesy, because a true date palm is 100 feet
tall
and a full size Phoenix roebelenii in a mall is 50 feet tall. It grows one to
three trunks & is in a 10 inch pot. Every other year or so I repot it & hack
off most of the roots. At least a palm has a somewhat woody trunk. A banana
is
an herbaceous plant. Some species are smaller than others, but not bonsai
material. Can't you find something else?

Urrrg

I thought that the smiley would have been obvious there, especially with the
misspelling and all.

Sean

--
Visit my photolog page;