Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Beverly Erlebacher

Default The evolution of plants: some help please.

In article ,
Iris Cohen wrote:
I am a first year student studying biology at university.And we have to
elaborate a file whose subject is the evolution of some plants in specific
climates, like cactus, nenuphares, algue and carnivorous plants.

Boy, is Cereoid going to chop you down! Your topic is much too broad. Algae are
not even considered real plants, as far as I know. This reminds me of the story
of the Roman soldier who came to Hillel and said, "Tell me all about the Torah
while I am standing on one foot."

And Hillel told him: "Don't do to other people what you wouldn't want done
to yourself. The rest is commentary." Hillel has been remembered for 2000
years as a practical, kind and humane man, and some posters to this group
would certainly benefit from his advice.

I'd recommend the original poster pick one group of plants, find out the
scientific name, and do a web search for it until he or she finds some
reliable info on how it evolved and adapted to its difficult environment.
If it's too hard to find the info, pick a different group. Then hit the
library.

I think the original poster may be a Francophone. In English 'nenuphares'
are waterlilies, so using scientific names is important. Carnivorous plants
are not a taxonomic group - this trait has arisen multiple times in unrelated
groups of plants. IIRC, cacti were 'preadapted' to aridity by traits they
developed as epiphytes.

This is an interesting topic for a paper. Good luck!