Old 26-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Martin Rand

Default Constructing epithets (was Use of the word "behen" in names)

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Martin Rand schreef
There do seem to be quite a few exceptions to this. And the Latin root

of
'-anus' only implies 'of' or 'pertaining to', not particularly distinct

from
'originating from' (cf. 'montanus', 'montana').

E.g I'm sure Aira caryophyllea ssp armoricana is named because it's

found
in Brittany, not particularly to honour the place.
Argemone mexicana?
Genista monspessulana / Acer monspessulanum?
Limonium transwallianum?

Anyway, St. Louis code:

"60D.1. An epithet derived from a geographical name is preferably an
adjective and usually takes the termination -ensis, -(a)nus, -inus,
or -icus."

(Which fails to mention '-acus' BTW.)

It doesn't seem to make any usage distinctions between these.

+ + +
Indeed there is no distinction in usage, otherwise there would be two or
more forms of epithets ("sinense" and 'sinanum'?!?) for popular

geographical
names. As a rule there is one epithet for one geographical name.

There does appear to be a pattern as to what kind of geographical names

have
what kind of epithet. I don't believe there is a place in Italy that takes

"-ensis" ending. The further away from Italy a place is the more likely it
appears to get an epithet ending on "-ensis".

Well, I couldn't resist a challenge like that, but it was hard work!

Asplenium x ticinense!
And a whole lot of things baldensis / baldense!

:-)