Old 26-04-2003, 02:08 PM
LeighMo

Default Snail Control

Not a Columbian ramshorn, is it? The ones that get to be 1" or
bigger? They are terrible plant-eaters.

I have no idea. Mine is almost 3" in diameter but appears to have
stopped growing. I've never seen it eat plants. How long do these
things live? Mine is starting to slow down and close his trap door lots.

If they're like apple snails, they live 18 months to three years, depending on
temperature. The cooler the water, the longer the snail lives.

It sounds like you have a Columbian ramshorn. They often have pretty white or
yellow stripes that follow the spiral of their brown shells. But they really
aren't suited for a planted tank. They eat plants like crazy.

Hmm, interesting. They are eating my plants quite a bit right now, but I
suspect that's because I've been neglecting some of the plants...I think
they are dead before the snails start to eat them.

That could be. Or it might be that the Columbian ramshorn is damaging the
plants, and the pond snails are moving in to chomp on the leftovers.

If you have another tank, you might try moving the ramshorn to it, and see if
that helps. IME, Columbian ramshorns cause far more damage to plants than pond
snails.

If the pond snails are eating healthy plants, then they are very hungry indeed.
They should be easy to trap, with a lettuce leaf or slice of zucchini.

Leigh