Old 26-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Simon Avery

Default Newbie Weeding question

"DDEckerslyke" wrote:

Hello DDEckerslyke

D Newbie gardeners. Just moved into a house where the small
D front lawn (20 - 25 sq m) is about 15 or 20 percent
D dandelions. Can anyone here either advise us what to do, or
D point us in the direction of a good site/book/resource?
D Do we dig them out? (I had a go at a big one and the root
D was approximately 2cm diameter, deeper than I could get, and
D I've left an impact crater.)Use weedkiller? (We've got three
D young kids so we're reluctant to do this. Is there
D environmentally and kid friendly weedkiller?)

Digging them out will work - a long handled weed extractor is probably
the best widget. It looks like a short tube on a stick with a slot in
it.

Or, as I'm doing, just enjoy having a yellow lawn for a few weeks.