Old 26-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Default Fritillaria Imperialis

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:11:05 +0100, Bill Brewer wrote:

For the last fifteen years I have grown three varieties of Fritillaria
imperialis in my garden, 'Rubra', 'Lutea' and 'Aurora' with limited
flowering success. I remember that the first five years were fine, but from
then onwards flowering became a rarity. At the time of planting, I followed
planting instructions to the letter. They have never been dug up and moved
to a new location as I understand that crown imperials should be left
undisturbed. This year I have just one in flower at the moment, an 'Aurora'.
What could be wrong with them? Any thoughts to the group on the subject
would be most welcome.

Feed the brutes. They are potassium lovers, I have been told.

But don't try to bulk them up all at once with one mighty dose of
fertilizer. Two or three years of regular light feedings is a
better idea. I've been giving my own garden a fall feeding the
last two years. Lots of things responded the first spring after
such a feeding, but other plants have taken a second year to show
the results. I notice, in particular, that the species tulips
took longer than the daffodils.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada