Old 26-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default Gaura Whirling Butterflies

From: "Natty_Dread"
Date: Sat, Apr 26, 2003 10:16 AM
Hi all -- I have two whirling butterflies potted in a container together
that I never got into the ground in the fall. The foliage died back over
the winter, but they haven't sprouted up yet this spring. They're in a
sunny place on my patio and have been kept moist. Might they have died
due
to the cold, snowy winter we had this year? I'm in Northern VA, zone 7a/b.
Does anyone have experience with these plants? I really loved the dancing
white flowers...I hope they didn't die!

Thanks,

Rhonda
Alexandria, VA

The problem with leaving some perennials in containers outdoors over winters in
colder zones is that the roots may become colder than the temps of ground soil.
Hardy perennials can winter over if they're planted in the ground, because
soil temperature doesn't go much below freezing. In pots, what with rain and
snow and harsh winds, the roots will become a frozen mass alternating with
temporary thaws. Given that it's Gaura, which is known to be short-lived
anyway, they had a lot to contend with. That said, you may want to leave them
for a while. Gaura can often show up late. Good luck.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa (z6b)