Old 26-04-2003, 06:44 PM
SugarChile

Default Can anyone identify these?

You're letting the common name confuse you. They are not the summer/fall
flowers, they are just sometimes called "gentian blue" because the color is
similar.

They look exactly like chionodoxa to me as well. They seed themselves about
and naturalize quite nicely. There's also a pink variety, with slightly
larger flowers. The one and only problem that I have with them is that the
voles eat them in years when we have snow cover all winter, like this last
winter. So I have very few flowers this year; however, the voles seem to
miss the smaller bulbs, and my population will rebound in a year or two.

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Chionodoxa sardensis, aka Gentian Blue

I dunno. I've looked for flowers in the Gentian family in a number of
resources, and 1) I have yet to see a picture like the one I took, and
2) everywhere else says that Gentians are a summer/fall flower, but
the one's I have always come up in very early spring.

Dave

"JourneyDancer" wrote in message
Can anyone identify these pretty blue flowers?

http://www.wildfiregroup.com/flowers