Old 26-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Is this reasonable

wrote in message
I have decided to get some help in to get my back garden into good
shape, as I don't have the time required at the moment. I feel that
once everything has had a good prune and weeding and the grass is cut
back I will be able to keep on top of things, but cannot find time at
the moment to make the effort to get to that point by myself.

I have had one estimate so far for £150 - for 2 chaps to work for half
a day. Now, the time seems about right to me for the work involved,
(though it would take me a lot longer I'm sure) but I have no idea
what is "the going rate" for such work, so I don't knwo if this is
cheap, reasonable or a bit steep. my initial thoughts were that it
was a bit more than I'd expected, (I'd thought more like £100) but I
may have just been guilty of wishful thinking?

Dose anyone have any experience of paying for gardening work? Can
anyone comment?

Don't forget, you are not just paying for the hours spent on the job. Form
the point of view of the guy's business, the amount charged has to cover
(inter alia) time spent estimating, Dead time between jobs (ie after half a
day on your garden, what time after travelling will they be able to spend on
the next job), insurance & Public liability insurance (if they are
reputable), tools & equipment etc etc.

£150 a man day for that sort of work is good value.

pk