Old 27-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Stephen Howard

Default Nettle manure

On 26 Apr 2003 23:07:35 GMT, Rick McGreal wrote:

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

It'll work - though the 'farmyardy smell' is something of an
understatement, I reckon!

I was a little concerned about that.....But with all the smells in my
garden in a few weeks I don't think I need worry about it

Or is it *that* bad?! B-)

I thought it was *that* bad... had me retching!

I had very good results with the batch I made, particularly on the veg
patch - though the last time I used a leaf feed I opted for a
concentrated seaweed mixture, which was considerably less niffy.

But I don't hjink I could find seeweed anywhere near here that I coudl pick
up for free!
(Free is the main word here!)

Next time you're at the beach

I've also used the remnants of sheep shearing ( there's a name for the
crappy bits, which escapes me at the mo...something like 'scrottlings'
etc. ).
Same principle, soak 'em in a butt for a few weeks, strain and spray.

Makes a nice soup, do nettles.

Erk....If its anything like nettle tea...No thanks.....
'Orrible stuff....
(BTW...you can do the same with dandilion leaves aswell I have been
told....)

It's nothing like nettle tea ( thankfully ).

Here's the recipe, taken from Roger Phillips' "Wild Food" ( Pub. Pan
Books ).
1 large onion, 1 clove garlic
2 spuds
2 handfuls nettle heads ( use gloves! )
Olive oil, salt, pepper
Stock ( fresh or otherwise )
Quarter pint single cream

Peel & chop onion, garlic and spuds; fry for 3 or 4 mins in a large
saucepan in a little olive oil.
Trim stems from nettle heads, wash well and add to pan.
Make up pint and a half of stock, bung into pan.
Boil rapidly for 15 mins until spuds are cooked.
Liquidize to preferred texture, return to pan, season with salt and
pepper to taste.
Pour into warmed serving bowl and stir in the cream.

I use a freshly made vegetable stock ( boil up yer trimmings ), as
it's quite a delicate flavour that the nettles impart, and a chicken
stock can smother it. If using stock cubes you might want to omit the
salt.
At this time of year you might find Ramsons ( wild garlic ) growing
locally... a few chopped leaves in place of the garlic adds a seasonal
freshness to the soup.

Happy eating...

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk