Old 27-04-2003, 01:32 AM
B.Server

Default New Tomatoes cut off: What did it?

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 05:33:41 GMT, Scott McCall
wrote:

[...]

Lots of good suggestions, even some by email. Seems
this is a universal problem. If we catch the felon in the
act, we will share the identity. The various plants are
now encircled with foil, paper cylinders, cans. It is
possible that all the athletic pests are thwarted, and
have left to find better cutting elsewhere, although ours
is the only garden for 5 houses in all directions!

Wife caught only one of those little black
grasshoppers that turn into Big grasshoppers maybe
4" long, fat and juicy when squished. (Our cairn terrier
Loves to catch them, hates the taste!) This is our best
guess so far. More to follow! Many THANKS to
all you helpful contributors.

Scott McCall

I would bet on cutworms. Early in the morning, pull back the mulch
carefully and look for holes in the ground about the diameter of a
pencil. Dig a bit and you will often turn up a 1-1 1/2" grey worm who
comes out in the evening to play Paul Bunyan.