Old 27-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Fay

Default NO TIME FOR poor quality tools

davefr wrote in
:

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 06:22:01 -0500, "DaveG"
wrote:

(Partially snipped)

Anyone who ever holds a Snap-On ratchet in their hot little hand
will

never
buy another Craftsman ratchet, IMO.

That's the key. Holding the ratchet. Where does the average joe six
pack go to buy Snap-On?

Gee, just a couple click away is:
www.snapon.com or www.ebay.com

I agree about the superior quality of these tools, though. My pal is
diesel mechanic, and uses this brand.

There used to be a bigger difference between Snap On and other tools
but not anymore. Snap On is excellent but S-K, ACE Professional,
NAPA, Kobalt (Lowes) are equivalent quality in wrenches, ratchets,
sockets, etc but not as wide a selection but much lower cost.

Craftsman is a little lower in quality but not as much as you'd think.
(a little hunkier form factor but probably about as strong as Snap On
which is a tad more compact and can get into tighter spaces).

A lot of mechanics are saying hell with Snap On and buying Crapsman.

They are really a pleasure to use. But man do they cost! But he
makes good money at his job, gets a tool allownace, and can depreciate
the costs on his income taxes, not so for most of us.

You're right. Snap On is double the market price for equivalent
quality but that's based on:

1. The 1:1 service from a dealer. The dealer can't operate off retail
margins. Mechanics hate to spend their weekends shopping for tools.
That 2X price is worth it to them to get localized one stop shopping
and credit and beside that, the dealers are usually good salesmen or
they don't survive.

Joe six pack doesn't get that service so why pay for it.

2. Snap On is a "cult". The "pecking order" of mechanics is often a
function of who has the largest Snap On "hot dog stand' w/the most
tools.

As a female that bought many tools (company paid for) Snap-on tools are
weighted well and feel good in your hand. I also ike Proto tools. I buy
Snap-on for my personal use. I call them on the phone and a truck shows up
with my tools.