Old 27-04-2003, 06:08 AM
griffon

Default maroon-leaved wild violet?

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from griffon contains these words:

I was in the city park when I saw what appears to be a wild violet
with burgandy/maroon colored leaves. It was growing on a little
island in the pond where there are houses for the ducks to go into. I
was wondering if anyone knew what this might be?

Viola labradorica?

Janet

I had ruled it out earlier after seeing several pictures that had
mostly green leaves, but after a lot of searching, I think that almost
has to be the plant. This plant had more of a red than purple tint to
the leaves, but I simply can not find anything in google that is
similar to this plant except the labrador violet.

I think this is probably it and this one plant just had the red look
because of something special about it's situation. Heck, it might
look that way because of all the duck waste or something, what do I
know? Oh well, I do know that I am now going to find me some of these
plants whether they are the same or not. Much prettier than the
typical wild violets that grow in these parts (violat pratincola, i
think).