Old 27-04-2003, 06:08 AM
griffon

Default maroon-leaved wild violet?

pamfree (Zemedelec) wrote:

Sounds lovely. Out here, wild sorrel and oxalist are generally pests, but
there's a variety with mottled purple leaves which is quite lovely. It seems
indestructible. Cpi;d O semd you a root from Louisiana (New Orleans) as a
stand-in till you find your violet seeds, or are you somewhere where that
would be illegal??

I imagine it would be fine - I try to keep up with which plants are
no-nos in this state (Arkansas) and for the most part it is stuff like
purple loosestrife.

The purple plant isn't this is it?
http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week021.shtml

I have some of that, I thought for years it was a house plant that was
a no-grow outside, but I had to clean it out of a potted fig tree
after my cat removed some from one pot and placed it in that one - and
it grew. I just pulled it up and tossed it into a perennial garden.
This was in fall and the next spring there was a decent bit of it
growing there. Supposedly it is not hardy north of zone 7, but I am
in 6b and so far we have not had a winter cold enough to kill it off.

If it is something else, then I would probably love a start of it. I
am fond of oxalis anyway.