Old 27-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Rick McGreal

Default Nettle manure

Stephen Howard wrote in
:

Or is it *that* bad?! B-)

I thought it was *that* bad... had me retching!

Erm.....I'm having second thoughts now!!!

I will try it once....If its far too bad (Or others complain) then I won't
do it again
Only way to tell really!

But I don't hjink I could find seeweed anywhere near here that I coudl
pick up for free!
(Free is the main word here!)

Next time you're at the beach

And my wife will just love me for trapsing home with a half ron of smelly
seaweed in the car!

It's nothing like nettle tea ( thankfully ).

NOTHING is like nettle tea...!

Here's the recipe, taken from Roger Phillips' "Wild Food" ( Pub. Pan
Books ).

snip recipe

I've printed it out....One day....When I';m feeling brave...I will try it
out!

I use a freshly made vegetable stock ( boil up yer trimmings ), as
it's quite a delicate flavour that the nettles impart, and a chicken
stock can smother it. If using stock cubes you might want to omit the
salt.

I have done my own stocks in the past...Adn sometime found them better than
shop baught ones...But they are just too hard to do at times....
And its just far too hit and miss....So now I don't bother and simply
compost it all up

At this time of year you might find Ramsons ( wild garlic ) growing
locally... a few chopped leaves in place of the garlic adds a seasonal
freshness to the soup.

Never found any wild veggies before....
I used to live in city centre Manchester....Now I live in a tiny village
just outside Wakefield

I may go searching...See what I can find!

Happy eating...

B-)