Old 27-04-2003, 01:20 PM
William Tasso

Default Newbie Weeding question

DDEckerslyke wrote:
Newbie gardeners. Just moved into a house where the small front lawn
(20 - 25 sq m) is about 15 or 20 percent dandelions. Can anyone here
either advise us what to do, or point us in the direction of a good
site/book/resource? Do we dig them out? (I had a go at a big one and
the root was approximately 2cm diameter, deeper than I could get, and
I've left an impact crater.)Use weedkiller? (We've got three young
kids so we're reluctant to do this. Is there environmentally and kid
friendly weedkiller?)

Dandelions are the devils spawn - unless you like them of course.

Digging the blighters out works well for the smaller, less established
plants but as you've discovered the larger ones can be a little challenging.
Spot weedkillers can also work well, but I think you'd be well advised to
pick on one corner at a time and keep the kids away while the chemicals are
still present and active.

I'm afraid this will become an obsession for you but whatever happens do not
under any circumstance allow them to go to seed - you will regret it.

In any event, have fun.
--
William Tasso