Old 27-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Rick McGreal

Default Newbie Weeding question

"William Tasso" wrote in
:

When the yellow heads die off and the white ones appear?
The ones that we used to call 'clocks' when I was young?

You got it - also known as faeries by some of the younger 'helpful'
gardeners round here as they blow them around the garden - aaaaargh.

Wonderful inventions kids...
Perhaps someone should patent them so that most woudl be prevented from
having them! B-)

Can I simply mow the heads off while waiting for my weedkiller to
work?

Not unless you are 100% sure the seed is sterile (I don't know how you
would ensure that). I'm inclined to pick the heads off when they're
at the bud stage. It's an every-day morning task once you've declared
war on them.

I have no idea about hem being sterile....
The best I can do for now is to pick the yellow heads off.....
Ok...Lets be real here....I'll get my 4yr old to do it!

I'm pretty much down to just the odd leaf...But LOTS (And I do mean lots)
or yellow heads....
Thats why I was thinking of mowing them off