Old 27-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Gary Woods

Default Apple tree

"Bigfoot" wrote:

is this rare to have apples grow on a
tree that was planted from a pip? I was told it is and if you can manage to
do it you can name the apples after yourself.

Sort of: Apple pips will almost surely produce trees that will produce
apples. There is so much genetic variation that most of these will be
(quickly consults American-English dictionary) rubbish, suitable only for
cider. But this is how new varieties are made, either by intentional cross
pollination or by luck. You'll see the history of a lot of older apples
described as "Chance seedling, found in Farmer Brown's orchard." That's
why commercial apple trees are always grafted- known good stock onto
seedling roots (or one of many dwarfing rootstocks).

Am I being led up the garden path or is there some truth in it?

You've got something unique, and if it's good to eat as well, you can name
it as you wish. As for the garden path, I spend so much time being led
there it needs re-paving!

Good luck!