Old 27-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Wayfarer

Default What is an heirloom?

I agree with most of what you said however Monsanto is not the only one
doing genetic engineering, Monsanto does not own all genetically engineered
plants. Many ag schools also do it and it can take several forms -- not
just the cross species example I offered. Some of it I am not against --
the ones that simply try to improve a strain by selective breeding -- it is
the forms of genetic engineering that are incorporating cross specie
breeding I am specifically concerned about for many reasons including people
who are allergic to something and have no way of knowing that a peanut gene
has been spliced into a potato or whatever, and eat a food they think is
safe for them but is not. An example of one of the controversies is when
they produced corn that repels insects -- and one method is by the corn
producing something that renders the insects sterile and there has been a
lot of controversy about that for fear of it affecting beneficial insects --
but this very method does exist in nature with some plants --

It is a very complex issue but I need to correct you on the point of
Monsanto being the sole entity doing research -- they are just the largest
and best know.

As a "backyard gardener" I have grown corn obtained from a couple of
different sources where I had to agree not only to only plant one variety
but to attempt to determine no neighbors within 1/4 mile of me were planting
corn because that is corn's danger of cross-pollination range. I also had
to send reports back to the person and agency from which I originally
obtained the seed(s), and agree to notify them if I shared the seed with
anyone else. In my case I was growing Heirloom Shawnee white flour corn,
but having attending an "ag school", yes, Virginia, Monsanto is not the only
one experimenting.

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )