Old 27-04-2003, 05:56 PM
N. Woolley

Default What is an heirloom?

You are correct, Monsanto is not the only company doing the genetic
engineering. I should have made that clear in my post.

You say you are not against selective breeding to improve a strain.
Neither am I. But, that is not genetic engineering. GE puts genetic
material form one organism into another that would NEVER occur in
nature. Selective breeding is just helping along what comes naturally.

I, obviously, am anti-GE. I think the danger is just too great. We could
contaminate some very important food crops. Look at how Starlink corn
contaminated railway cars and grain elevators. And I don't really
believe that all farmers worldwide will observe the buffer zone rules.

OK, back to my garden!

-Nancy