Old 27-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Dave Fouchey

Default What type of edibles grow well in N. FLorida?

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 16:40:08 GMT, "jbull232"
wrote:

I tilled a bed and put the usual tomatoes and peppers but I am experimenting
with cantaloupe and watermelon. Any experiences with how these two grow in
N. Fl? How much watering do they need etc...

Thanks

They do quite well, check out around the Hastings and Palatka Areas if
you are in North East Florida. There are numerous farms for those very
items. Strawberries also do well.

Consistent watering is the key, North Florida has often got sandy fast
draining soil with little water retention capability. (My Former yard
on top of an old sand dune being an extreme example, there wasn't
enough water in the Floridan Aquifer to keep it watered!) Also they
are heavy feeders so keep an eye on nutrients. Again the soil there
doesn't hold much..

Happy Gardening!

Dave Fouchey
Now in South Eastern Michigan