Old 28-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] bare root seedling sweet gum

i bought some bare root seedling 6-12", were in march. ordered
50
recieved 60. following the directions of brent walston from his

article on
his site, i trimmed the roots 3 inches from crown and are in 4

inch pots
with well draining soil, nothing taken off the top. they have

been potted
for about a month and getting a medium amount of sun here in

southern
california. they came from Penn. which im sure were sent while

dormant.
Im concerned at this time only 2 trees have broken leaves.

?how long
should they take to break leafves? ?and what percentage sucess

rate is
normal?

Lou, we can NOT answer you unless we know where you live.
Sweetgum from Pennsylvania will be genetically programmed to leaf
out a LOT later than sweetgum in my area. For the next several
years, you have to expect these trees to act as if they were
still living where their parents lived. If you live some
distance to the south of Pennsylvania, it could be a while before
they leaf out.

So, where are you, Lou ?

AGAIN, I remind people to always tell us this when you ask a
question. Better yet, put your location into your sig line!

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++