Old 28-04-2003, 12:08 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Apple tree

"Gary wrote in message :

is this rare to have apples grow on a
tree that was planted from a pip? I was told it is and if you can manage

do it you can name the apples after yourself.

Sort of: Apple pips will almost surely produce trees that will produce
apples. There is so much genetic variation that most of these will be
(quickly consults American-English dictionary) rubbish, suitable only for
cider. But this is how new varieties are made, either by intentional

cross
pollination or by luck. You'll see the history of a lot of older apples
described as "Chance seedling, found in Farmer Brown's orchard." That's
why commercial apple trees are always grafted- known good stock onto
seedling roots (or one of many dwarfing rootstocks).

Gary, while we are talking apples, is it true they don't grow "cooking
apple" trees like Bramley and Arthur Turner in the US? You simply use
ordinary eating apples if you want to cook apples, make a pie, etc.

Next time I'm in Bramley I'll have to look out for that tree, the original
is still alive I understand.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.