Old 28-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Gary

Default West Nile Fears

We have had a pond for about 10 years. With the waterfall and the 30+
goldfish, we have never had much of a mosquito problem. In addition to the
waterfall, I keep a couple of air bubblers going all the time. I do spray a
mixture of malathion and diazinon around the place about twice a year, but
you want to avoid spraying it where it will hit the surface of the pond, to
keep the fish healthy.
Also, our infection control nurse at work got some information on West Nile
virus, and according to the information she got, it' s highly unlikely that
one would be infected, even if bit by a mosquito. I think she got her info
from the Centers for Disease Control. Probably in an area where animals,
such as livestock, birds, and house pets have actually become sick and died
from West Nile, you might need to be more careful.
Gary
"Mark Milotay" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I am about to repair the pond in my new house, and my wife is scared about
West Nile virus from mosquitoes that may hatch in our pond. I have assured
her that the combination of a pump & fish will prevent this from being a
risk, but she wants documented proof. If anyone can put me on to some
reliable sources it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark