Old 28-04-2003, 04:44 AM
paghat

Default Wal-Mart plants make me cry

In article , "Timothy"
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 21:29:12 -0400, Judy and Dave G wrote:

Hello all

I was at Wal-Mart this afternoon. I needed 6 more purple wave plants.
Well they had 4 of those 6 foot high rolling carts with 6 shelves on
them just loaded with wave plants. But none of them were marked as to
which wave they were. No big surprise.

Here's the problem. Everyone of the plants in that garden center that
wasn't dead, was almost dead. Most were dead. Why? Because they had
not been watered. For God's sake. Water, that's all. I cannot believe
that there is no one that works at the WalMart garden center that does
not realize that plants NEED water to survive. How very, very sad.

Someone had noted last year on these newsgroups that Wal Mart does not
pay for all the flowers that are there. They only pay for what sells.
And if something dies, the supplier takes it back, or pitches it, but
Wal Mart does not have to pay.

What a crock. It was apparent that the plants were healthy before they
died of thirst.
What a sad, sad waste.

Judy I tend to have to agree with you. Wal-Mart is a sad, sad place.
Besides their plant abuse, they have help to destroy the small businesses
that used to supply these same goods. I'm finding it much harder to hand
over my money to these mega box stores who seem to care less about their
customer service with each passing day. I implore you or any other reader
of this, to support your local businesses. The 10 or 20 percent more you
might spend at a local business will support your local economy, not to
mention the customer support that you'll recieve.

Products are not actually cheaper if they're merely more cheaply made. I
close-to-never shop at WalMart, & went many years never even setting foot
inside one, though in the last year or so I've been a couple of times,
leaving each time with nothing. The first time was when I needed a wrought
iron stand for a terrarium & the stand in an independent shop seemed just
a little expensive. Someone said the same stand cost less than half as
much at WalMart, so I decided, oh hell, I hate to support that store, but
paying half as much for that stand would be nice. So I drove over to a
WalMart only to discover that what looked superficially like wrought iron
FELT like wobbly aluminum that had been painted black! So I went back to
the independent dealer & got a far sturdier & much prettier stand, which
given the quality suddenly seemed very affordable after all.

On the other hand, being a small independent shop isn't a very convincing
excuse to overcharge. The choice is often between getting jackshit cheapy
stuff at WalMart on sale, or get a well-made reliable product from an
independent store for a bit more. But when the independent store is itself
full of jackshit cheap crapola, & the owners whine that Walmart is putting
THEM out of business, it's hard to feel sorry for them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"